26 July 2005

scheduling and grumbling

I just registered for fall classes at Dominican, or at least I sort of registered. I'm registered for
I'm waitlisted for
Course descriptions are here. I need to end up with three courses, for financial and health insurance reasons. (Oddly enough, I'd also like to take 743, Reference Sources in Business and Economics, but that woud entail dropping one of the other evening classes and driving to Schaumburg. . . anyone want to tell me it's worth it?)

If this schedule seems a bit schizophrenic, there's a reason: I'm trying to strike a balance between things that I think would be useful (e.g. Searching Electronic Databases, which I'd just like to know how to do better) and things that I think might be good to have on my transcript (e.g. Library Materials for Young Adults, since I'm considering the whole teen librarianship thing as well as the reference librarian thing).

I wandered over to the LISSA [Library and Information Science Student Association] Blackboard, where a few people have posted requests for information about classes and professors, and one astute reader of the schedule has noted that there are only 5 morning classes (as opposed to 41 evening classes, 8 afternoon classes, and 7 weekend/all day classes) and that two of these are core classes and the other three meet on the same day at the same time. As the writer points out, evening and weekend classes are great for those who work 9-5, but those of us who work evenings and weekends are kind of screwed. I'm lucky in that I only work a few nights a week and that my place of work is understanding and flexible about my schedule. Not everyone, I assume, has that luxury.

Also of note on the LISSA Blackboard is the "LISSA and GSLIS Request and Suggestion Forum":
LISSA and the GSLIS administration want your suggestions and questions. Please help us make our school better. We can’t do everything you may want, but we would sure like to try, or at least help you make a difference. Students, faculty and administration are welcome to read and post.
Not surprisingly, there are no messages in said forum. LISSA is supposed to be a student forum and an advocate for students: by opening their forums to faculty and administration, they've pretty much guaranteed that students aren't going to feel welcome. It's often hard to make honest criticisms and suggestions when you know that the people in charge of evaluating you are, or could be, reading.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Creative Commons License